After being on vacation and finding myself in a Restaurant that didn’t offer any vegetables, among other challenges, I was inspired to write this segment.
The Raugh Truth Top Ten Tips to Eat Fit While Dining Out:
1) Decide right off the bat not to throw caution to the wind and “go with the flow” or follow the crowd. This may require you to speak up and vote on what and where you want to eat.
2) Choose the right restaurant right off the bat that offers lean protein or vegetarian/vegan rather than pasta dishes. Pasta dishes are very high glycemic. No pizza and wings either!
3) Ask them not to bring bread and if they do don’t eat it (chances are it’s going to be high glycemic). You might as well start with dessert if you’re going to start with white bread!
4) Have protein and fiber with every meal. Choose lean protein like fish, chicken, turkey or vegetarian/vegan fare.
5) Ask how the dish is prepared and request no butter or heavy cream sauces
6) Ask for double veggies and skip the potatoes – yes that’s any potato other than sweet potatoes!
7) Skip the tarter sauce, and added creams, cheese, or sugars
8) Start with a Salad to get the digestive enzymes going and give you nutrients that fill you up. Ask for romaine lettuce, spinach, or spring mix (iceberg has no nutritional value). Skip the croutons and cheese on the salad.
9) Share a meal to eat less, or split your meal in 1/2 and eat 1/2 at another time.
10) Drink Water!! Pina Colada’s and all the drinks out there are empty calories.
And do I have to say this? Skip the dessert (unless you are at Minty Wellness)!
Keep it clean my friends and don’t forget to tune in every Saturday at 11am for The Raugh Truth and more Health and Fitness on WDCX 99.5 FM. Join the discussion!
Robbie Raugh, RN